The online newspaper The Huffington Post today provided this useful summary of some of the big issues before this year’s Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly. There’s coverage and comment on the disvestment controversy I covered in my last blog post. And with more and more states (and apparently a majority of the population) now in favour of gay marriage, there is controversy over whether pastors in those states should officiate at these ceremonies. Since the last GA two years ago, a majority of Presbyteries voted to remove a 20 year ban on gay and lesbian ordinations, so many conservatives may be on the way out anyway. But there have been legal battles about whether and if such congregations could take the buildings and property with them.
This is the study leave blog of the Rev Peter W Nimmo, Minister of Old High St Stephen's Church, Inverness, Scotland.
Blog Posts (most recent first)
- Noelle Damico talks about her Fair Food campaigns
- Union Seminary Poverty Initiative
- Presbyterian Ministry at the UN 3- more with Mark Koenig
- Presbyterian Ministry at the UN 2- interview with Mark Koenig
- Presbyterian Ministry at the United Nations- part 1
- The Plenary Sessions, Voting and Procedures in the PC(USA) General Assembly
- Presbyterian Church (USA) General Assembly: introduction
- More on Community Organising: Brad’s story
- Community organising training 1
- Study Leave talk at Old High St Stephen’s
- Evening Prayer at the General Assembly
- Conversations with Congressman Geoff Davis: Part 2
- Growth or faithfulness? A Cincinnati Presbyterian pastor reflects
- Conversations with Congressman Geoff Davis: Part 1
- The Middle East in the Midwest: Israel, Palestine, and US Evangelicalism
- Photos from University Christian Church, Cincinatti, Ohio
- Slavery and Freedom in Cincinnati
- US Presbyterian General Assembly summary
- Midwestern evangelicalism in Cincinnati
- PC (USA) Statistics again
- US Healthcare Debate: comment by Sojourners’ Jim Wallis
- More writing needed!
- The Poverty Initiative of the the National Council of Churches of Christ
- PC (USA) online
- PC(USA) statistics
- At the PC(USA) General Assembly
- Update about Washington
- Sojourners: a different evangelical politics?
- A wee walk around New York
- Economics and the General Assemblies
- Will Israel, gay issues to dominate PC (USA) General Assembly?
- Second Tuesday: the Israel/Palestinian conflict and the PC(USA)
- Quick update
- Community organizing turns serious… but fun!
- Interim update: Tuesday evening, 19 June
- At the Faith in Public Life office in Washington DC with Jennifer Butler
- At the Presbyterian office in Washington DC
- Sermon at White Plains Presbyterian Church, June 10, 2012
- Pastor Jeff Geary blogs on my arrival!
- First days in USA
- RT @ChurchSociety01: Hear from those at the heart of exposing Britain’s political secret police and campaigning for truth and justice for t… 4 hours ago
- RT @ChurchSociety01: SRT Project’s Dr Murdo Macdonald is looking forward to visiting the Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine today… 4 hours ago
- RT @ChurchSociety01: ICYMI: we unveiled our new video that showcases the themes that have emerged from #SpeakOut. Please share! #GA2016 htt… 4 hours ago
- RT @LeanneWood: What is happening in the United States is so awful, this newsreader is unable to report it without breaking down. Absolute… 13 hours ago
- Off to Coatbridge as @ChurchSociety01 meets for 1st time since General Assembly. Lots to talk about! 13 hours ago
- 4,692 hits